This complementary ticket to a benefit lecture by Henry Austin Adams was sent to Archbishop Corrigan by Fr. Neil McKinnon, S.J., pastor of St. Ignatius Loyola.
Henry Austin Adams was, at the time, a well-known Catholic lecturer. Although born Catholic, he was raised in the Protestant church, and became an Episcopal minister. He converted back to Catholicism in the early 1890s, and began a touring career, giving lectures about his conversion, many sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. Conflicting accounts attribute his conversion to Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore or Cardinal Newman. This particular lecture was delivered by Adams to raise funds for the construction of the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola.
The Church of St. Ignatius Loyola was completed in 1898, and dedicated on December 11 by Archbishop Michael Corrigan. The church was built on the site of the former Church of St. Lawrence O’Toole, founded in 1851. The parish had been under the care of the Jesuit Fathers from 1866, until the present day.