Cardinal Patrick J. Hayes
Patrick J. Hayes was born in New York City on November 20, 1867. Hayes attended Manhattan College in Riverdale, New York, and then entered St. Joseph’s Seminary in Troy, New York in 1888. Hayes was ordained a priest on September 8, 1892. He was appointed secretary to John M. Farley, the pastor of St. Gabriel’s parish and later the Cardinal of New York. In 1903, Hayes became chancellor of the archdiocese and president of Cathedral College, located at the chancery. He was consecrated titular bishop of Tagaste, in present day Algeria in 1914 (a titular bishop does not oversee a diocese), but shortly after was appointed to the Chaplain Corps of the US Armed Forces on November 24, 1917.
Following the death of Cardinal John Farley, Hayes became the fifth archbishop of New York on March 10, 1919. Hayes was elevated to Cardinal on March 24, 1924. During his tenure, Hayes created the Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York, in 1920. This organization coordinated and supervised the different charities within the Archdiocese as well as fundraised for them. His involvement with the Catholic Charities gave him the nickname, “The Cardinal of Charities.” The Cardinal was also involved with the Bishops’ Program of Social Reconstruction in which he called for social changes such as social security, equal pay for women, and the creation of a federal minimum wage. Hayes established sixty-nine parishes while in charge of the Archdiocese of New York. He remained Cardinal until his death on September 4, 1938.
Cardinal Hayes was a popular man and was loved by the members of the Archdiocese of New York. In addition to his “Cardinal of Charities” nickname, Hayes was sometimes referred to as the “Cardinal of Souls.” He was a man who never forgot his humble beginnings and constantly worked towards bettering the lives of the poor and needy.
Hayes and the Bahamas
The Bahamas, or the Nassau Mission as it was first called, was under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of New York from 1885 till 1932. Hayes visited the Bahamas about every three years, as required by Canon Law. Hayes’ first visit as leader of the Archdiocese was in 1922, followed by visits in 1925, 1928, and 1932. Hayes would continue to visit the Bahamas after 1932, but for vacation rather than official reasons. While in the Bahamas, Hayes would visit the numerous missions and schools that were established by the Benedictine Priests and the Sisters of Charity. As a bishop, Hayes would dedicate new buildings and would also oversee any confirmations. He would also preside over any marriages or first holy communions that were scheduled during his trips.
Click on the images below to learn more about these pages from the scrapbook: