History of the Archdiocese of New York
On November 6, 1789, Pope Pius VI created the Diocese of Baltimore. On August 15, 1790, John Carroll was consecrated the first bishop of the vast diocese which extended from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River and from Canada to Florida—890,000 square miles, which in time would number twenty-five states. On April 8, 1808, Pope Pius VII formed the suffragan dioceses of New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Bardstown (later Louisville, Kentucky). At the time of its inception, the New York Diocese comprised all of New York State as well as northeastern New Jersey. In 1847, the Dioceses of Buffalo and Albany were created. In 1850, Pope Pius raised the Diocese of New York to the status of a metropolitan see—an archdiocese. In 1853, the Dioceses of Newark and Brooklyn were erected.
Currently, the Archdiocese of New York includes the New York City boroughs of Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island, as well as the counties of Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Sullivan, Ulster, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties in New York State.